All You Need to Know About Solar Rooftop System
Nowdays, in order to meet the daily power consumption requirements people are tending to go for solar energy systems as it is a economical and environment friendly option of power generation(Green Energy). But there are various factors that are needed to be understand before going for solar system. Here are Some of those:
- Is solar rooftop system capable of catering 100% of your residential power requirements?
Yes, with a well designed and installed system you can meet all your residential power requirements. However certain factors may influence your power generation with solar rooftop system such as available Shadow free roof area, your sanctioned load, your power consumption, Solar policies of your state. Here’s How:
- If the available shadow free area at your rooftop is less than the space required to install the necessary amount of solar panels then you might have to opt for system with less capacity. In that case power generated by system may fall short of your total requirement.
- Solar policies of the most India states restricts the installation of solar rooftop system to be less than or equal to the sanctioned load, especially in case of grid tie solar rooftop systems. In such a case, if your power requirement is more than your sanctioned load then again with the solar system you install, you might not be able to meet all your energy requirements.
- After installation of your solar rooftop system if your power consumption increases drastically then also solar energy generated might fall short. In that case to counter this issue, you might increase the capacity of your solar rooftop system.
2. How much a solar rooftop system can be beneficiary to you in terms of saving on electricity bills?
In case of residential power consumers, the monthly saving on electricity bill with solar system installed is as high as 99%.
3. What are the various types of solar rooftop system?
4. What type of solar rooftop system should you go for?
On Grid Rooftop System: In case of very high monthly electricity consumption resulting in high expenses and the event of power cut occurs very rarely, you can opt for on grid system. Here the main purpose of installing the system is reducing the expenses on the electricity.
Off Grid Rooftop System: If you are facing an issue of power cuts frequently at your place and if you are willing to go for green energy option then to get rid of this issue you must opt for the off grid rooftop system.
Hybrid Rooftop System : If you are willing to reduce the expenses on electricity and also facing power cuts to some extent , you can go for the hybrid solar system.
5.How to decide the exact capacity of proposed solar rooftop system?
Normally, capacity of the system is decided by analyzing the average monthly electricity units consumption of consumer. In normal operating condition 1kw system generates upto 120 Units per month.
|Average Monthly Consumption||Electricity Bill||System Capacity||Space Required(Sq.Ft.)|
|0-120 Units||About 1000||1KW||70|
6.How much it will cost to install the residential solar rooftop system?
The cost of solar systems has fallen down dramatically over the decade. To put it in the numbers, it has come down upto approximately 40-50%. However, the final cost of the system depends on the various factors such as Components and material used to design the system, the expertise of the solar installer and the scale of the project. The per KW cost of the residential solar rooftop systems tends to be higher compared to the commercial systems as residential systems are smaller in size(Lower scale of operations).
7.Is your home rooftop good enough for installing solar rooftop system?
Analyzing the Durability of the rooftop is extremely important factor. Weight of a solar panel is about 20 Kg. So normally, RCC or thin sheet roof are capable to withstand solar panels and mounting structure.
8.How much space does it require to install the system?
Generally, dimension of the solar panels is approximately 20-21 Sq.Ft.(Poly. Panels). So, if we consider 1KW system, required space is approximately 70-75 Sq.Ft. It varies with the system capacity.
9.How much is the maintenance cost of the solar panels ?
In order to make solar system function efficiently, solar panels needed to cleaned periodically. It does not require any specialized maintenance technique to function properly. So solar system is very economical in terms of maintenance.
10.How soon will you start getting repayment of your investment ?
Generally, with well configured and installed system, you can expect your system to break even within 3-4 years. The break even period is however dependent on the system size and the DISCOM(state electricity board) tariff rate of your state.
11.What is net metering?
Net metering is a billing mechanism that credits solar energy system owners for the electricity they add to the grid. The mechanism of net metering allows consumer to export the excess power generated by the solar system to the utility grid and reduce the electricity bill amount. e.g. if a residential customer has a solar system on their roof, it may generate more electricity than the home uses during daylight hours. If the home is net-metered, the electricity meter will run backwards if electricity produced by solar system is more than day time household requirements and during night period, exported units to the grid will be consumed for household applications. During this time meter will run in forward direction.
Now You know all essential factors about solar rooftop system.